Catholic Health Initiatives Nursing Unit Supervisor -7S Cardiac Telemetry- Mercy Medical Center FT .9 (Day/Evening) in DES MOINES, Iowa
Nursing Unit Supervisor -7S Cardiac Telemetry- Mercy Medical Center FT .9 (Day/Evening)
GENERAL SUMMARY :
The Nursing Unit Supervisor provides direct
patient care and coordinates nursing activities to facilitate safe, quality patient care at
the unit/department level, usually for a defined shift (such as days, nights, or weekends). Serves as a resource and role model and
collaborates with a multidisciplinary team to optimize
department operations. Under the direction of the unit/department director, may assist with other
management responsibilities as assigned. Overall, management responsibilities comprise less
than 50% of the total job role. Works
independently with limited direct supervision in accordance
with the Iowa Nurse Practice Act, Mercy Medical Center policies, and patient care standards
and professional judgment.
- Maintains high level clinical competence to
assess patient needs, plan patient care, implement appropriate interventions,
and evaluate the effectiveness of patient care delivered to defined patient
- Provides front-line leadership as a resource,
mentor, and role model in delivering patient care using a team approach.
- Provides consultation upon request in area of
clinical expertise to other nursing staff or health professionals.
- Serves as a resource or “Super User” for
documentation in the electronic medical record.
- Leads daily huddles and assists with maintaining
- Monitors safety compliance and contributes to
fostering a culture of safety at the unit level.
- Supervises unit/department personnel, including
registered nurses and licensed practical nurses, patient care technicians,
department support assistants, and other department personnel, usually for an
assigned shift (i.e. days, nights, or weekends.)
- Facilitates efficient unit/department
operations, including staff assignments and patient throughput.
- Adjusts staffing and prioritizes workload to
meet patient/unit needs.
- Provides support to staff to ensure patients of
a positive care experience. Assists with the resolution of patient/family
complaints. Escalates issues appropriately to the director or administrative
- Assists with leading quality improvement
activities including performance improvement processes to ensure evidence-based
practices are in place..
- May assist with additional management duties as
assigned by the unit/department director, including, but not limited to:
and hiring of personnel
of premium pay
performance feedback and discipline
- In the absence of the unit/department director,
may represent the director on hospital committees or attend management meetings
on the director’s behalf.
- Plans unit and nursing resource utilization
based on established admission, discharge and transfer criteria, initiating
appropriate intervention and collaboration to optimize patient care and
- Manages Bedboard compliance. Collaborates with
Patient Flow department and House Supervisor to optimize patient throughput.
- Leads or participates in interdisciplinary
patient rounds and care conferences, management rounding to patients and staff,
and Rounding to Influence (Safety First).
- Assist nursing and interdisciplinary team in
patient/family education and discharge planning.
- Supports clinical research by assisting staff as
needed in collecting data for approved research protocols.
- Facilitates communication between patient/family,
physicians and other caregivers to achieve consensus for the plan of care. Consults
with the Ethics Committee as appropriate.
- Collaborates with Unit Director and Clinical
Resource Nurse or department educator for a plan for achievement and maintenance
of skills/competencies of team personnel.
- Understands employee competency documentation
- Provides orientation/education for staff,
students, and other hospitals and community organizations as assigned.
Primary Location IOWA-DES MOINES-MERCY MEDICAL CENTER
Daily Schedule Day/Evening
Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period 72
Weekends Required Occasional
Req ID: 2017-R0129067