Catholic Health Initiatives Executive Director of Women and Childrens Service Line in TACOMA, Washington
Executive Director of Women and Childrens Service Line
This job is responsible for planning, directing and operating the CHI Franciscan Health (CHI-FH) Women’s/Children’s service line in accordance with the professional standards of the clinical disciplines, applicable regulatory requirements and strategic/business objectives of the organization. An incumbent provides strategic leadership in assessing, developing and implementing initiatives/activities which improve patient safety/quality, financial performance/productivity, maximize effective utilization of resources, enhance patient outcomes/service satisfaction of all identified customer groups and generate a competitive advantage for CHI-FH. Work is executed in close collaboration with physician leadership, including key members of the Franciscan Medical Group and other service lines/regional departments with respect to business plan development and to coordinate services across the care continuum.
Work also includes: 1) developing/managing the operations/capital budgets for the assigned departments; 2) analyzing current/new service delivery models to develop change recommendations; 3) developing/implementing/monitoring quality improvement initiatives to enhance/streamline current procedures/processes and take advantage of system-wide synergies; 4) establishing and ensuring that overall objectives relating to consistency of standards and customer service are achieved; and 5) directly supervising subordinate service line management staff.
Job duties require considerable knowledge of the specialized principles and practices related to health care management in order to evaluate and make viable recommendations for the improving health care delivery system(s) and enhancing organizational effectiveness and efficiency. Also requires knowledge of service line clinical operations and considerable management expertise relating to planning, marketing and business development, process improvement, budget administration and personnel management. Performance improvement efforts cover a variety of processes, and an incumbent must be sufficiently knowledgeable to recognize important synergies and opportunities in clinical outcomes, cost containment, patient safety/satisfaction and regulatory compliance.
Essential Job Functions:
Business Development/Marketing :
- Works collaboratively with CHI-FH Marketing/Communications Dept. to develop effective marketing strategies and promotional materials for the clinical area(s) that are designed to enhance awareness, expand market share and increase revenues to CHI-FH; identifies and implements strategies/opportunities to differentiate CHI-FH programs and services from those of other healthcare providers; participates in community awareness activities to promote clinical programs/services.
Operational Accountability :
- Plans, directs and evaluates, through subordinate directors/managers, the programs, systems, operations and resources of the service line to assure the safe and appropriate delivery of diagnostic and therapeutic patient care, achievement of clinical core measurement scores, and to ensure that all activities are conducted in a timely and cost-effective manner and in compliance with organizational values, professional standards, internal policies/standards/procedures and applicable regulatory requirements; produces and presents reports on key performance indicators and other significant benchmarking metrics.
Short- and Long-Term Planning :
- Anticipates and recognizes the evolving factors that affect current/future needs, and directs the development of strategies/initiatives/programs/projects to respond/foster/support future growth of service line clinical area(s) and address matter such as: provision of new services, standardization of policies/practices across the organization, increasing market share, maximizing revenues, cross-selling services, improving efficacy/cost-effectiveness of clinical services provided, enhancing patient outcomes/satisfaction and others of similar complexity and consequence; understands and ensures the full optimization of available information technology to achievement of overall business objectives; develops formal strategic/tactical plans, to include both short- and long-term business planning, with full accountability for achievement of plan objectives; presents and gains support for recommendations and directs project management efforts to develop/implement planning objectives.
- Develops, implements, monitors and evaluates systems/initiatives/programs to facilitate performance/quality improvements in keeping with strategic objectives and regulatory requirements; conducts ongoing assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of the assigned clinical area(s) to better understand/identify future needs and challenges; evaluates existing systems/program/priorities and future potential to make recommendations for growth, expansion, new services and solvency of existing services based on market demographics and volume projections; develops and presents comprehensive recommendations regarding the viability of specific systems/projects; plans and directs quality process improvement initiatives/projects to ensure achievement of business objectives.
Relationship Development/Team Work
- Establishes and maintains a positive culture that fosters teamwork, creativity and innovation; models personal responsibility/accountability balanced with risk-taking and innovation; engages key partners so as to benefit from multiple perspectives and skill sets.
Resource Management/Budget Administration:
- Determines resources needed to accomplish the performance objectives of the service line and oversees activities and resources in a manner that is fiscally responsible and in accordance with CHI-FH policies and standards
Staff Management and Development:
- Plans, directs and evaluates the work of administrative and clinical management/non-management staff in accordance with the content, spirit and intent of applicable internal/external regulations and standards for human resource management; ensures adequate staffing levels for appropriate coverage to meet budgetary and operational objectives; ensures that employees are qualified and properly trained to perform assigned job duties; holds regular management meetings and keeps employees appraised of all matters relevant to successful job performance; makes employment decisions, establishes performance standards and evaluates employee performance; educates, guides, counsels and develops staff and addresses performance management concerns and technical issues elevated by subordinates as beyond their scope of authority.
- Ensures full compliance with internal/external legal and regulatory standards and requirements, and that effective control procedures are in place and fully functioning to preclude improprieties from occurring; monitors the effectiveness of current practices in meeting expectations and producing desired results.
Education/Work Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, Healthcare Administration or related field and seven years of progressively responsible related work experience that would demonstrate attainment of the requisite job knowledge/abilities, including five years in a leadership/management capacity. Work experience in an acute care setting is preferred.
Experience with multi-site, in- and outpatient operations is desirable. Proven track record in achieving results through a highly collaborative leadership team (providers, clinicians and managers) is essential to success.
Master’s degree in healthcare administration or related field, or enrollment in a related Master’s degree program, is strongly preferred.
Primary Location WASHINGTON-TACOMA-ST JOSEPH MEDICAL CENTER
Daily Schedule Days
Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period 80
Weekends Required Occasional
Req ID: 2017-R0120851