Catholic Health Initiatives Patient Observer- Resource Pool PT .5 (Evenings) in DES MOINES, Iowa
Patient Observer- Resource Pool PT .5 (Evenings)
GENERAL SUMMARY :
Supports the professional clinical staff by providing direct
observation of a specific patient as assigned by the RN for the following
patient ages as follows:
16 to death (adolescent, adult, geriatric)
- The patient companion will maintain constant
observation of the patient at all times.
- The patient companion will notify the nurse or CNA
– Patient Care Technician of the patient’s need for assistance.
- The patient companion will be aware of the
patient’s schedule. They will understand
what they can and cannot do in terms of providing direct care.
- The patient companion will introduce self to the
patient, and let them know they are assigned the patient for the shift. When talking to the patient, the patient
companion will maintain a calm manner, and will not give advice. The patient companion will refer questions
regarding the patient’s condition to the patient’s nurse.
- The patient companion will maintain a safe
environment for the patient and will notify the nurse of any potential
- The patient companion will share information and
report any changes noted about the patient to the patient’s nurse.
- The patient companion will not administer
medications or restrain the patient at any time.
- The patient companion will let the patient’s
nurse know how the patient responded to medications to the best of their
- The patient companion will remain with the
patient during family visiting, unless directed otherwise by the patient’s
- The patient companion will record all activities
on the observation sheet for the nurse.
This is to be included in the medical record and used by the nurse to
summarize the events of the shift.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE,SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED :
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
Job Clinical Support
Primary Location IOWA-DES MOINES-MERCY MEDICAL CENTER
Daily Schedule Evenings
Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period 40
Weekends Required Every Third
Req ID: 2018-R0164861
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.