Catholic Health Initiatives Social Worker- Social Services in DES MOINES, Iowa
Social Worker- Social Services
GENERAL SUMMARY :
for the provision of basic evaluative, preventive, therapeutic, restorative and
personal care services to assist in meeting the psychosocial needs of Mercy
patients and their families, thus enabling them to better utilize medical care
resources in order to achieve their optimal level of health. Applies
fundamental psychosocial theory and methods to individuals, couples, families
and groups with appropriate regard for the complexity of given problems. As
assigned, provides social work services to patients at any and all points on
the continuum of care, from pre-admission to post-discharge follow-up. May interact
directly with persons of diverse ages.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
- Obtains social history information and identifies
patient needs by interviewing the patient/family, reviewing the medical record,
conferring with physicians and appropriate medical center staff and contacting
other information sources as necessary and appropriate.
- Analysis and evaluation of patient situation is
based on a thorough consideration of the patient's psychosocial situation.
- Develops individualized psychosocial case plans
based on assessment and in conjunction with other members of the health care
delivery team. Implements plan and monitors patient 's progress.
- Arranges for and/or coordinates a broad spectrum
of discharge planning services. Consults with physicians, medical center staff,
patient/family to determine patient's post-hospital needs and plans.
- Provides patient/family with information on
options/resources available and strategies for utilizing these resources.
Assists with all necessary referrals.
- Demonstrates ability to differentiate between
emergency and non-emergency tasks and responds accordingly. Provides immediate supportive counseling and
necessary assistance to patients/families dealing with a crisis or emergency
situation. Assists with referrals to community resources when appropriate.
- Provides psychosocial counseling/treatment
services to restore patients and families to optimum social and physical health
adjustment within their capacity.
- Provides factual information and materials to
patients/families and others. Possesses knowledge of public and private welfare
and health agencies available to serve the community. Make referrals promptly
to appropriate agencies for services suitable to meet patient needs.
- Screens patients for financial assistance and
helps clarify insurance benefits. Supports patients and families in their
efforts to address and cope with the economic stresses brought on by their
- Provides clinical social work consultation to
physicians and professional staff through patient evaluations, case
conferences, in-service programs and educational presentations.
- Maintains liaison with community health and
social service agencies, establishes effective professional relationships by
personal/telephone contact and correspondence.
- Documents social work activity in patient 's
medical record. Prepares and maintains records/reports in a timely and
- Recognizes the role of a social worker in the
department and how it relates to the overall function of the hospital regarding
MARGINAL FUNCTIONS :
- Attends and participates in department and
interdisciplinary team meetings as scheduled.
- Participates in relevant hospital and community
in-service training programs as required.
- Participates in planning and development of
social work programs. Make suggestions for improving the department's services.
- Participates in the education and training of
social work students, in coordination and interaction with supervisor.
- Provides education and orientation to new staff
members of the Care Coordination Department, as requested by supervisor.
- Serves as a consultant to other social workers in
areas of specialized experience.
- Provides consultation services to other medical
centers and long-term care facilities as requested.
- Works on special projects and social work related
tasks as assigned. Participates on committees as appropriate. Performs related
duties as required.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS ANDABILITIES REQUIRED :
Bachelor's degree in social work, required.
regarding clinical interviewing techniques.
regarding social work principles, standards and ethics.
understanding of Medicare and Medicaid regulations and child/dependent adult
laws and regulations are desired.
- Proof of
completion of Mandatory Reporter abuse training specific to population served within
three (3) months of hire.
Job Professional Clinical/Allied Health
Primary Location IOWA-DES MOINES-MERCY MEDICAL CENTER
Daily Schedule Days
Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period 80
Weekends Required Occasional
Req ID: 2018-R0157358