Catholic Health Initiatives Spanish Interpreter-Translator in SCHUYLER, Nebraska
Under general supervision of the Interpreter Coordinator, will provide direct interpreting services (English to foreign language and foreign language to English) to patients, family members, physicians and other healthcare professionals. Provides interpretation during conversations and appointments with healthcare professionals and translates written material at a level that is comprehensible to the general public. This PRN interpreter will help staff provide coverage at the Schuyler campus. The incumbent will be needed to staff the Saturday clinic from 8:30am-11:30am as well as be a member of the on-call team providing night and weekend coverage.
Uses and discloses patient protected health information: 1) Only as it applies to job functions, 2) in amounts minimally necessary for intended purpose, and 3) in a confidential manner.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitates communication between patients and family members with limitations in communication in the English Language and healthcare providers through interpretation and clarification on
medical and clinical procedures, hospital policies and practices, and general information at a comprehensible level for the patient.
- Provides interpretation of conversations with limited English proficiency to patients and families in
order to facilitate an understanding of hospital policy and procedures. Helps to educate patients and
family members on available community services based on patient needs.
Logs daily activity with patients/family members or other individuals and reports to referring staff.
Makes appointments for clients with physician, and will provide interpretation services for those clinics that have a contract a with interpreter services.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
Basic reading and writing skills necessary in order to record visit interactions, filing, typing and copying as typically acquired through a high school degree.
Completion of a Healthcare Interpreters Training Course with a minimum of 40 hours. This course to be completed within 24 months of employment based on availability of the course.
- Must have and maintain at all times a valid Nebraska drivers’ license.
- Approximately six months’ on-the-job experience necessary to be able to provide interpretation during conversations and appointments with healthcare professionals. Ability to translate written material and provide education to the general public regarding health services availability and routes of access.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to appropriately interpret exact conversations word-for-word or as
near as possible to the client’s original verbiage.
- Basic analytical skills necessary in order to evaluate and assess needs for interpretation to patients,
family members, physicians, and other health care professionals.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail for up to 50% of work time when providing
Job Clinical Support
Primary Location NEBRASKA-SCHUYLER-SCHUYLER
Daily Schedule PRN/On-call
Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period 0
Weekends Required Every
Req ID: 2018-R0161588
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.